There have been so many things to talk about in the music industry in the last two weeks – Donna Summer died, Adam Yauch died…and for the weeks that it would have been relevant for me to write something about them, I dropped the ball big time. So of course I don’t really have anything momentous to talk about. Well, I do have a few things.
First, being a big fan of I Am Not Lefthanded, I’m really happy to see that they’ve been invited to North by Northeast this year – and they’re going to be the only Irish band performing. Unfortunately they spent all of their funds putting their new album – The Fire and the Sigh – together for release (and it’s finally coming out as a digital release, June 3rd). I’ve been lucky enough to receive a 6-track preview, and you’re in for a treat. Anyway, they’ve launched a Kickstarter to fund a tour of Canada! I’m really excited about this, because it means a potential stop in Ottawa if they get what they need. You can check out their Kickstarter page to get all the details on what kind of goodies you can get by pledging. They’re really close to their goal of $2,000, so help out if you can.
Speaking of shows in Ottawa, another band I like to throw my support behind, Streets of Hastings, is having a show at the Elmdale Tavern. It’s Saturday, June 16th, $8 in advance, and they have a pretty cool deal – it’s called Bring Yer Buds for Suds. Basically, for every two friends you bring to the show (who haven’t seen the band), the band will buy you a beer! That’s pretty sweet, I think.
Well, that’s more than I’ve written in the last 4 weeks, so might as well stop there.
Time for links!
- Record Store Day Recap (only a month late) (The Good, The Bad, and The Unknown)
- The Best 11 Songs by Garbage (The Good, The Bad, and The Unknown)
- Dressy Bessy at Littlefield in Brooklyn (Chromewaves)
- Favorites-of ’12: Andre Williams & The Sadies Night & Day (Hero Hill)
- Five Albums You Should Be Listening To Right Now (Music For Kids Who Can’t Read Good)
- HAPPY WORLD GOTH DAY: 140 CHARACTER REVIEWS: MARILYN MANSON – BORN VILLAIN (ninebullets.net)
- Seriously, check out Big Wilson River (Popa’s Tunes)
- New release: The netBloc series returns with Vol. 38 “Sojurn In A Sonic Odyssey”! (blocSonic)
- New Release by Conor and the Stonehill Kids (Popa’s tunes)
- Popakazooza 2012 Vol 6 (Popa’s Tunes)
- Summer (Or What It Sounds Like) (Music For Kids Who Can’t Read Good)
- Young At Heart (Versions Galore)